Afremov graduated from Vitebsk Art School, which was founded by Chagall in 1921 and has had many notable patrons including Kazimir Malevich and Wassily Kandinsky. After discovering that only communist propaganda posters would sell in the Soviet Union, Afremov moved to Israel in 1990. Within two weeks, he had found a job in an advertising agency painting billboards, but on the eve of an exhibition, his studio was broken into and vandalised. After having his art gallery vandalized by orthodox Jews, Leonid moved to United States.
He currently resides in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.
- 1977 Students’ Anniversary, Vitebsk
- 1990 Soviet Artists’ Union, Vitebsk
- 1989 Judaica Paintings, Moscow
- 1991 Amaliya Arbel Art Gallery, Rishon Lezion, Israel
- 1992 Judaica Paintings, Ramat Gan Museum
- 1994 Judaica Paintings, Tel Aviv Museum of Art, Tel Aviv
- 1997 Anniversary Exhibition, Ashdod Museum
- 1994 Lapid Art Gallery, Ashdod
- 1995 Dilon Art Gallery, Jaffa
- 1998 Opera House Art Gallery, Tel Aviv
- 1999 Ofir Art Gallery, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv